Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The world is getting smaller.....

Hmmm, today I had an experience that left me thinking how small our world is getting. Now, perhaps this experience had a greater impact on me since I've been reacquainting myself with childhood TV favorites thanks to Youtube. So what was the experience you ask? It was turning on my computer and chatting casually, face to face, with a dear friend in Switzerland....for free. (Ok, so Skype is free but the cost of internet access isn't, I know that) I was just sitting here on a sunny Tuesday in my RV parked on the circus lot in Topeka and all I had to do was click a few buttons and there I was chatting away with someone thousands of miles away...nothing to it. Thousands of miles...that's even further than chatting with the space station. And sometime in that conversation it hit me, here I grew up in a time where computers were relegated to the task of hangman, oregon trail, and math games (that's right boys and girls, the screen only had TWO colors: black and green....well, ok, I guess black is the absence of color, so maybe it's only one color) and now I can instantly speak virtually in person with a person on the other side of the world....that's across oceans, hills, towns, cities, families, governments, and archaeological secrets yet to be uncovered. I guess it's just the fact that in the past 20, heck 50 years, information and the way we interact with people globally has changed so significantly one can only wonder whom, or maybe which planet, we'll casually turn on our computer and chat with 50 years from now.....or maybe we won't even chat with computers anymore, we'll just communicate with giant interstellar passenger pigeons....yeah, I think I'd call mine Floyd, that would be some entrance for my inter-planetary message eh?

No comments: