Thursday, April 06, 2006

At least it's warmer here........

I'm here at a coffee plac ein Montgomery, AL. This week we actually had a few days off in one place rather than driving on our days off. Sonce the last time I type, we were in Macon,GA on a split week, headed up to Albany for the weekend; then played a full week in Knoxville, TN; last week was a split between Murray, KY and Bowling Green, KY; and now this week we're in Montgomery, AL for the week before we head up north for a couple of months. So, 2 blogs ago I never finished my trip from savannah to tallahassee.--- It was a smooth drive with the added bonus of discount spices at my dinner stop.....whaaaaaat? I hear you asking for an explanation......ok, so, get this- I stopped at a subway for dinner, "sorry sir, we only accept cash" hmmmmmmm, so being the silly/resourceful person I am, I went next door to the grocery to get cash back on a purchase. So, I walk in, it's looks abnormally bare for a stand grocery store in this so called land of plenty. After walking around a but, it became clear to me that this store was changing chain owners and they were liquidating most of of their stock. Since I have the thrifty gene from my dad, I grabbed a basket and went to town. Most of the stuff 50-60% off, but you can't imagine my delight when happening upon the spice section. Most spices don't go bad when they're kept sealed in a cool and dark place. So, needless to say, I pretty much cleared them out of their whole spices and most importantly their saffron. Saffron is one of the most expensive spices per once, in the world. So, to find it at 50% discount, well, I bought 4 bottles (which totalled about 8 ounces) and left with a smile on my face. So, from about a $111 bill, with the clearance discount it ended up being around $52. So, I continued the drive to Tallahassee, only to run out of gas a mile out from where the meeting point, so one of the clowns was nice enough to take his car off his trailer and bring some gas to me. It was interesting, when your house runs out of gas on a major highway and a clown has to save your but. Anyhow, we made it into town and we set up and hooked to poewr and water by about 2am. Not a bad day off, not too relaxing though either. Ok, off to do sound check then opening night show here in Mongomery.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What in the world do you use saffin for? I've cooked all my life and never used it. Do you have a gas gauge that works? I guess it is good to have clowns as friends!! Stay safe!!! Mom

Anonymous said...

when your house runs out of gas on a major highway and a clown has to save your butt

How many times will you get to use that line??