Sunday, September 18, 2005

A beuatiful last day in Calgary

What a beautiful Sunday is was today. First, to back track, did a two show day yesterday and then one show this afternoon @ 1PM then I'm driving tonight to Lac Louise for the night and driving the rest of the way to Prince George BC tomorrow. Yesterday seemed like such a long day, not sure why, maybe this elevation is starting to wear on everyone. I haven't really felt too much of it except that my lips get dry more often, feels like I need more breath for playing, and it takes longer to boil water and cook food. So, after managing my way through the shows yesterday, I had planned on staying in the city and getting rush tickets to the Alberta Ballet, but not such luck, they were sold out of the rish tix and I couldn't find the theater, so I ended going to hear the Calgary Philharmonic. Now, before you people is Philly laugh, because you know what it's like hear the Philly Orch every week. Calgary wasn't too bad. Last night was the second night in their season opening series. It was a pops concert with Carl Topilow as guest conductor and clarinet soloist along with special guest Canadian idol Theresa Sorkyrka. I have to say, first impression with the hall was mor ethan I expected, it was basically a long and tall rectangular box with acoustic structures on the ceiling, 2 balcaonies, and a stage with velvet bech seating for a choir and an there was also an organ there too, ala Verizon hall in philly. The orchestra itself was rather small, a lot older musicians who have been in the orchestra for most of their careers, but there was a certain "hometown" quality about the way everything was presented and displayed. Granted, the majority of the audience was the white haired folks (which I'm rapidly joining) but the usual three stereotypes of classical concertgoers (i.e. white-haired gentry, guys take their girl out to "impress" her, and the music students) But there seemed to truly be an interest among the younger sector in attendance, granted the Canadian idol was there, but one I've noticed in this Calgary that there is a bigger push AND support for the Arts in general. You can see this just by looking through a paprer, or even driving through the city. So, it was a fun concert, it wasn't intended to be a classical concert, so I didn't listen with those ears, but I did enjoy it, and I got to meet Theresa. Got to talk to her briefly about where she grew up and started music and what's next on her plate. I asked her if she had ever been to the circus, she hadn't but she had to fly back home today. So, I guess she'll just have to check it out if we ever get to Saskatoon. She's a very down to earth person, and her voice reminded a lot of Maia Sharp. I look forward to seeing her career grow over the next couple years. Today was pretty uneventful, such a warm and beautiful day, it made me wish I had time to riding, but it's exciting that I'm getting to go somewherr new AND that I get to drive through the Canadian Rockies tomorrow, I just hope the weather will hold out.........till then

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, as, what about motorcycle in the shop ? -- Nathan

Anonymous said...

Nice to read about your travels Nathan! How's the riding going? I'm making a request for a full day's blog dedicated to the fun of the Canadian Rockies via motorcyle.

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Quarters, Nathan! Glad things are going well. The Malone passed your blog link on to me, so I've been reading it- cool stuff. A job traveling like you are is fantastic!

I'm listening to Bach's Fantasia & Fugue in G minor for the organ as I write this, by the way. :) We ought to get together and discuss that stuff again sometime! I've been interested in Mahler since you mentioned how much you liked him, but haven't heard much yet (just what we get on NPR).