Thursday, December 08, 2005

And so the shows begin............

So the marathon of shows has begun, about 26 shows in 1 1/2 weeks. Granted the week of rest down here helps, and the 80+ degree weather makes the long days a little more paletable. So far we've done a couple days of rehearsal, then had 6 shows so far (not counting the 3 today) So, last time I typed I left you all with my musings on pikeville, KY. The little town that it is. Turns out that it's the region where the Hatfields and McCoys had their famous feud. Anyhow, I left the muddy lot Sunday night after the show, hoping to drive as far as Virginia, so that I could visit the DMV on Monday morning. So, after going across the border into Tennesee, I found a walmart to stay the night at (and of course I couldn't pass up a late night shopping trip to pick up a few things) I mean really, how many can pull their house up to Walmart and walk right in! (I know my mom would just live in the parking and shop there if she could) Anyhow, I got up the next morning, drove back across the border into VA and get my new motorcycle tags. You see, I had them stolen in Topeka, and ended filling out a police report and everything. Definately not a highlight of that city for me. But fortunately in VA all that you have to do to replace stolen tags is present your registration and pay the $10 for a new one. Most of the rest of the day I spent driving to Augusta to visit my old roomate and his family. I have to say, (and I know I keep saying it) it was good to see familiar faces. AND, I even got to cook a little too! You see, I've been carrying around my set of srpingform pans in my RV, but truth be told I don't have an oven or anywhere to use them. So mark's wife tiera was kind enough to let me use her kitchen to make one of my fav recipies, Spiced Pumpkin Cheesecake And here was the result (Caution, viewing picture may result in drooling on computer) After visiting for a few days I headed down to florida to spend Thanksgiving with my great aunt and uncle whi live in Sarasota. Well, things can never be as simple as you plan. The schedule was to arrive on wednes evening, but just after I crossed the FL border I had a blowout on my front left tire. Fortunately I didn't lose control of the vehicle but it ripped off the mudflap and did a number on the paintjob. So, it spent a couple late night hours figuring out a way to rig the jack to get it high enough off the ground to put on the spare. So, I got the spare on and continured on my way, but at 3AM I started falling asleep on the road, so since FL rest stops are RV friendly, I pulled into one and spent the night and drove the rest of the way early Thanksgiving morning. One plus was that I avoided most of the holiday traffic, although FL drivers are crazy enough to make up for any bonuses gained. So, with aunt pearl's help, I made it to their winter residence in the TriPar mobile home park in Sarasaota. I had a mild case of dejavoux. You see, this mobile park was the same one my family stayed at for our FL trip when I was on 4th grade. If someone had told me I'd be working with the circus and staying there with my RV 17 years later, I probably would've never believed them in a million, but life has a funny way of working out that way. So, I arrived on thanksgiving, visited, and since pearl had to work that evening, we went went for lunch at an Amish buffet restaurant, and I have to say, the Amish know how to do food; perhaps that's where I get my inspiration (my Schlabach ancestors that emmigrated here were from germany were all amish) Anyhow, it was a wonderful and filling meal. Turns out the that owners are from Holmes county ohio, which is where my grandparents live. As I got talking to aunt pearl she was telling me that there are a lot of amish that come to Sarasota for the winter. They run vans back and forth between ohio and FL at least once a week during peek season. And, curiously enough, a lot of the amish houses in FL have ammenities such electricity and phones (which they would never have in ohio) Upon hearing I raised my eyebrows in surprise, and aunt pearl said there's a saying they have, "what happens in florida stays in florida" Anhow, it was a nice treat to me in good company have good food for the holiday. That night I got to bed fairly early so that I could be ready fo early morning sales on black friday :-) oh, have to go play the last show for the day..........more soon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pumpkin cheesecake- mmmmm.....

Coincidentally, we just bought one from the new Trader Joe's; and half of it is sitting in the fridge as I write, waiting for festivities tonight. Doubt it's as good as yours, but now I'll remember you when I eat it.... :)

Good stuff, by the way- I enjoy reading about your adventures!

Anonymous said...

See, I had mocha espresso cheesecake on Friday & eggnog cheesecake with plum sauce Saturday- pumpkin spice would've made it the holiday flavor trifecta!